From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Dynamically change PORTAGE_TMPDIR via bashrc?
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2015 16:36:26
1 Rich Freeman <rich0 <at> gentoo.org> writes:
4 > One thing that both zfs and bcachefs seem to be doing (not that I'm in
5 > an expert in either) is taking a multi-tiered approach to storage.
6 > That is, writes can go into a durable log on a separate device and
7 > then be consolidated onto more long-term storage. I suspect that this
8 > might help with some of the fragmentation issues that you run into
9 > with COW. Then again, I don't know how its performance would compare
10 > to just dumping everything right to a single tier like btrfs and then
11 > just periodically having some kind of smart defragmenter that just
12 > cleans up the stuff that really needs it.
15 I have done quite a bit of research on many aspects of memory and storage.
16 It is probably the single biggest issue with how best to 'cluster' systems
17 and resources and the optimal solutions seem to be numerous, depending
18 on the goals and trade-offs of a specific application. That said, there are
19 as many ideas as there are project leads; so the space in full of
20 experimentation. With RDMA and compiler enhancements in the mix, I do not
21 think issues will narrow any time soon.
22
23 Sorry I could not be of more help; I swim in these waters pretty much
24 every day, looking for conclusions......still looking......
27 hth,
28 James