From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone running a Netbook satisfactorily on Gentoo?
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 19:13:13
1 >> I've installed and updated Gentoo on my girlfriend's Acer Aspire One
2 >> netbook and it's just so slow.  The only things I can think of to
3 >> speed it up would be to upgrade the RAM from 1GB (not sure if that's
4 >> possible) and/or swap out the SSD for a HD.  Anyone running a netbook
5 >> not excruciatingly slow?
6 >>
7 >> - Grant
10 > I've got an Acer One for my father. I don't know the exact type; it is
11 > the one with the 8GB SSD.
12 >
13 > I found it quiet usable, installed Gentoo with a minimal KDE3 on it.
14 > Compiled with -Os, of course. RAM usage is below 256MB most of the time.
15 > The only things I didn't get to work are 3D acceleration and the SSD
16 > card slots but I haven't invested much time into it.
17 >
18 > The slowest part of the system is the SSD. It really slows things done
19 > when they are loaded for the first time (for example the HTML part of
20 > Konqueror takes 3s to load AFTER Konqueror itself came up).
21 >
22 > The rest of the system is pretty fast for my expectations.I compiled
23 > most things in a chroot on my Celeron notebook (2 or 3 times the speed)
24 > before moving it over but I really found compiling not _that_ slow. Its
25 > usable for most regular updates and even kernels and such alike. For
26 > larger packages, I mount an NFS share on /var/tmp/portage because I
27 > don't want to wear down the SSD.
28 >
29 > Other tips:
30 > Use ext2 FS. You don't want the journalling to cost you even more
31 > performance and wear down the SSD.
32 >
33 > I wouldn't use laptop-mode. You don't want it to bog down the system
34 > when it decides to flush its write cache.
35 >
36 > No syslog, it will only wear down the disk with many small write cycles.
37 >
38 > Use the noop IO scheduler (boot parameter elevator=noop). There is no
39 > need for a scheduler on an SSD.
40 >
41 > ArchLinux also recommends deactivating DRI ('Option "DRI" "0"' in
42 > xorg.conf) to free up 32MB of memory.
43 >
44 > Hope this helps.
45
46 Thanks guys, these are the kinds of tips I need. I really want this
47 thing to work out so I can switch over to one. Lemme see if I've got
48 this:
49
50 1. run xfce4 (already do)
51 2. compile with -Os (I was using -O2)
52 3. use ext2 (I was using ext3)
53 4. don't use laptop-mode (I didn't know it existed)
54 5. no syslog (does this mean don't even emerge a system logger like metalog?)
55 6. use elevator=noop at boot
56 7. deactivate DRI
57 8. upgrade RAM to the max
58