From: Justin <justin@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone running a Netbook satisfactorily on Gentoo?
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 19:17:38
1 Grant schrieb:
2 >>> I've installed and updated Gentoo on my girlfriend's Acer Aspire One
3 >>> netbook and it's just so slow. The only things I can think of to
4 >>> speed it up would be to upgrade the RAM from 1GB (not sure if that's
5 >>> possible) and/or swap out the SSD for a HD. Anyone running a netbook
6 >>> not excruciatingly slow?
7 >>>
8 >>> - Grant
9 >>>
10 >> I've got an Acer One for my father. I don't know the exact type; it is
11 >> the one with the 8GB SSD.
12 >>
13 >> I found it quiet usable, installed Gentoo with a minimal KDE3 on it.
14 >> Compiled with -Os, of course. RAM usage is below 256MB most of the time.
15 >> The only things I didn't get to work are 3D acceleration and the SSD
16 >> card slots but I haven't invested much time into it.
17 >>
18 >> The slowest part of the system is the SSD. It really slows things done
19 >> when they are loaded for the first time (for example the HTML part of
20 >> Konqueror takes 3s to load AFTER Konqueror itself came up).
21 >>
22 >> The rest of the system is pretty fast for my expectations.I compiled
23 >> most things in a chroot on my Celeron notebook (2 or 3 times the speed)
24 >> before moving it over but I really found compiling not _that_ slow. Its
25 >> usable for most regular updates and even kernels and such alike. For
26 >> larger packages, I mount an NFS share on /var/tmp/portage because I
27 >> don't want to wear down the SSD.
28 >>
29 >> Other tips:
30 >> Use ext2 FS. You don't want the journalling to cost you even more
31 >> performance and wear down the SSD.
32 >>
33 >> I wouldn't use laptop-mode. You don't want it to bog down the system
34 >> when it decides to flush its write cache.
35 >>
36 >> No syslog, it will only wear down the disk with many small write cycles.
37 >>
38 >> Use the noop IO scheduler (boot parameter elevator=noop). There is no
39 >> need for a scheduler on an SSD.
40 >>
41 >> ArchLinux also recommends deactivating DRI ('Option "DRI" "0"' in
42 >> xorg.conf) to free up 32MB of memory.
43 >>
44 >> Hope this helps.
45 >
46 > Thanks guys, these are the kinds of tips I need. I really want this
47 > thing to work out so I can switch over to one. Lemme see if I've got
48 > this:
49 >
50 > 1. run xfce4 (already do)
51 > 2. compile with -Os (I was using -O2)
52 > 3. use ext2 (I was using ext3)
53 > 4. don't use laptop-mode (I didn't know it existed)
54 > 5. no syslog (does this mean don't even emerge a system logger like metalog?)
55 > 6. use elevator=noop at boot
56 > 7. deactivate DRI
57 > 8. upgrade RAM to the max
58