From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone running a Netbook satisfactorily on Gentoo?
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 19:36:14
1 On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Justin <justin@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Grant schrieb:
3 >>>> I've installed and updated Gentoo on my girlfriend's Acer Aspire One
4 >>>> netbook and it's just so slow. The only things I can think of to
5 >>>> speed it up would be to upgrade the RAM from 1GB (not sure if that's
6 >>>> possible) and/or swap out the SSD for a HD. Anyone running a netbook
7 >>>> not excruciatingly slow?
8 >>>>
9 >>>> - Grant
10 >>>>
11 >>> I've got an Acer One for my father. I don't know the exact type; it is
12 >>> the one with the 8GB SSD.
13 >>>
14 >>> I found it quiet usable, installed Gentoo with a minimal KDE3 on it.
15 >>> Compiled with -Os, of course. RAM usage is below 256MB most of the time.
16 >>> The only things I didn't get to work are 3D acceleration and the SSD
17 >>> card slots but I haven't invested much time into it.
18 >>>
19 >>> The slowest part of the system is the SSD. It really slows things done
20 >>> when they are loaded for the first time (for example the HTML part of
21 >>> Konqueror takes 3s to load AFTER Konqueror itself came up).
22 >>>
23 >>> The rest of the system is pretty fast for my expectations.I compiled
24 >>> most things in a chroot on my Celeron notebook (2 or 3 times the speed)
25 >>> before moving it over but I really found compiling not _that_ slow. Its
26 >>> usable for most regular updates and even kernels and such alike. For
27 >>> larger packages, I mount an NFS share on /var/tmp/portage because I
28 >>> don't want to wear down the SSD.
29 >>>
30 >>> Other tips:
31 >>> Use ext2 FS. You don't want the journalling to cost you even more
32 >>> performance and wear down the SSD.
33 >>>
34 >>> I wouldn't use laptop-mode. You don't want it to bog down the system
35 >>> when it decides to flush its write cache.
36 >>>
37 >>> No syslog, it will only wear down the disk with many small write cycles.
38 >>>
39 >>> Use the noop IO scheduler (boot parameter elevator=noop). There is no
40 >>> need for a scheduler on an SSD.
41 >>>
42 >>> ArchLinux also recommends deactivating DRI ('Option "DRI" "0"' in
43 >>> xorg.conf) to free up 32MB of memory.
44 >>>
45 >>> Hope this helps.
46 >>
47 >> Thanks guys, these are the kinds of tips I need. I really want this
48 >> thing to work out so I can switch over to one. Lemme see if I've got
49 >> this:
50 >>
51 >> 1. run xfce4 (already do)
52 >> 2. compile with -Os (I was using -O2)
53 >> 3. use ext2 (I was using ext3)
54 >> 4. don't use laptop-mode (I didn't know it existed)
55 >> 5. no syslog (does this mean don't even emerge a system logger like metalog?)
56 >> 6. use elevator=noop at boot
57 >> 7. deactivate DRI
58 >> 8. upgrade RAM to the max
59 >
60 > 9. use distcc
61
62 Won't that require another machine using the same CPU arch? Or can
63 cross-compiler be setup on the remote distcc box? (I don't even know
64 if GCC has an atom-specific CPU or if it is using something more
65 generic)