From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Another chkrootkit false positive?
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 18:43:59
1 On Tuesday 05 April 2011 15:59:18 James wrote:
2 > Mick <michaelkintzios <at> gmail.com> writes:
3 > > The warnings were generated last time the cron job run chkrootkit. I
4 > > think that the box was rather busy in the middle of emerging stuff at
5 > > the time, so I wonder if that had something to do with it.
6 >
7 > If your hypothesis is correct, it presents an interesting opportunity.
8 > How to dynamically priortize (renice) processes that sporadically
9 > run at the same time.
10 >
11 > :-(
12 >
13 > A while back, (few months?) there was a discussion about how to
14 > limit processor by settings in make.conf to restrict the load.
15 > There were several approaches listed in the thread.
16 > Maybe there's a scriptable (cron-able) solution on limiting
17 > the load on the machine? I think you even contributed to
18 > the thread?
19
20 I think you are referring to the following:
21 MAKEOPTS="-j --load-average=5"
22 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="-va -j --load-average=5"
23
24 These limit the load-average to 5. As long as the load is below this number,
25 additional make/compile/emerge processes can be spawned.
28 Joost