From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Power management or something?
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 00:05:16
1 >>>> I have a fresh install of Gentoo on my laptop and I'm having some
2 >>>> trouble with the backlight that I think is related to the screen going
3 >>>> into some sort of power save mode or something along those lines.  Are
4 >>>> there power management settings somewhere or something similar?  I'm
5 >>>> on xfce4.
6 >>>>
7 >>>> - Grant
8 >>>
9 >>> I found another clue.  It happens whenever I shut my laptop screen,
10 >>> even for a moment.  Is this some kind of sleep mode?  Might I be able
11 >>> to disable it in the kernel somewhere?
12 >>>
13 >>> - Grant
14 >>>
15 >>
16 >> I had that same issue with closing the screen. I think my solution was
17 >> a KDE setting which won't help you unless there is something similar
18 >> with XFCE.
19 >>
20 >> I'll boot the laptop and see if I Can spot what I did. Ah the things
21 >> we have time for when watching Hulu on a Sunday morning... ;-)
22 >>
23 >> Back later,
24 >> Mark
25 >
26 > Keeping in mind that I'm _not_ using or even testing backlighting, the
27 > place where I controlled whether the laptop got screen locked or
28 > hibernated was in the KDE System Settings app where I disabled all
29 > such stuff. Now the screen just goes black when the lid is closed,
30 > saving some power, but nothing locks, sleeps, hibernates or any other
31 > such response.
32 >
33 > I did nothing in the kernel that I see.
34 >
35 > HTH,
36 > Mark
37
38 Thanks Mark. I installed xfce4-power-manager thinking it would do the
39 trick for sure, but unfortunately the behavior is the same even after
40 messing with the settings. Weird....
41
42 - Grant