From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Power management or something?
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 16:19:29
1 On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 9:04 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>> I have a fresh install of Gentoo on my laptop and I'm having some
4 >>> trouble with the backlight that I think is related to the screen going
5 >>> into some sort of power save mode or something along those lines.  Are
6 >>> there power management settings somewhere or something similar?  I'm
7 >>> on xfce4.
8 >>>
9 >>> - Grant
10 >>
11 >> I found another clue.  It happens whenever I shut my laptop screen,
12 >> even for a moment.  Is this some kind of sleep mode?  Might I be able
13 >> to disable it in the kernel somewhere?
14 >>
15 >> - Grant
18 > I had that same issue with closing the screen. I think my solution was
19 > a KDE setting which won't help you unless there is something similar
20 > with XFCE.
21 >
22 > I'll boot the laptop and see if I Can spot what I did. Ah the things
23 > we have time for when watching Hulu on a Sunday morning... ;-)
24 >
25 > Back later,
26 > Mark
27
28 Keeping in mind that I'm _not_ using or even testing backlighting, the
29 place where I controlled whether the laptop got screen locked or
30 hibernated was in the KDE System Settings app where I disabled all
31 such stuff. Now the screen just goes black when the lid is closed,
32 saving some power, but nothing locks, sleeps, hibernates or any other
33 such response.
34
35 I did nothing in the kernel that I see.
36
37 HTH,
38 Mark