From: "Andrés Becerra Sandoval" <andres.becerra@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Automated Builds - Advice Plz
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 15:15:52
1 On 5/12/08, Paul Sobey <buddha@××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Hello All,
3 >
4 > Not sure this is the perfect place to post, but you are such a helpful
5 > bunch, I thought I'd give it a crack.
6 >
7 > In several previous jobs I've put together automated builds for Windows
8 > boxes, complete with app installs, configuration, bla bla. Now in a new
9 > role, I need to develop an automated framework to cover Linux (RHEL),
10 > Solaris and Windows. This will probably be in python, so I'll try and have
11 > a common menu system asking a sensible set of questions at the beginning.
12 >
13 > What general techniques would you guys recommend for automated builds of
14 > Linux/Solaris? Is it as simple as partitioning, untarring an appropriate
15 > set of files and writing some config out? It certainly has to be easier
16 > than the rather convoluted Windows process :)
17 >
18 > Any advice/suggestions gratefully received.
19 >
20 > Cheers from sunny London,
21 > Paul
22 >
23 > p.s. I'm trying to make a case for use of Gentoo internally (I find Gentoo
24 > package management easier and more flexible than yum/deb) - but since I'm
25 > working for an investment fund, the powers that be are keen on the cozy
26 > supportedness of RHEL. Any suggestions here welcome too!
29 > --
30 > gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list
34 Hello,
35
36 I would recommend this Gentoo newsletter:
37 http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gmn/20080424-newsletter.xml
38 section 3 . Heard in the Community
43 Andr矇s
44 瞱z鉉羞 z{h��言%