From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: GRUB2 migration
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 21:43:36
1 Hello,
4 On 07/05/2012 08:28 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
5 > On 2012-07-05, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 >> Has anyone seen/tried this guide?
7 >>
8 >> http://dev.gentoo.org/~cardoe/docs/grub2-migration.xml
9 >>
10 >> The devs seem to be moving along with migration to grub2.
11 >>
12 >> as evidence in the gentoo-dev thread. I curious if folks are going to
13 >> follow the docs, or are we each going to wing out way to grub2 with
14 >> the legacy installs of gentoo?
15 >
16 > I plan on dragging my feet for as long as possible, and won't switch
17 > until I'm forced to. And by "forced to" I mean that grub-legacy
18 > simply won't work anymore -- regardless of whether there's a Gentoo
19 > package for it or not.
20
21 a few weeks ago I was one of those people about to stay away from GRUB 2
22 as long as possible. What I didn't know is that part of what I knew and
23 disliked about GRUB 2 was (only) specific to Debian, the fact that you
24 no longer edit /etc/grub/grub.cfg directly: you edit parts that are
25 combined for you.
26
27 Short version: if it's fear of the unknown with you too, I recommend
28 getting to know that beast a little better. You'll either end up with
29 many good arguments against it or find out that it's better than you
30 expected in the beginning. My guess is the latter. Anyway. Give it a try.
31
32 Best,
36 Sebastian