From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] using eclipse with java
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 22:08:38
1 On Thu, Apr 17 2014, Jc García wrote:
2
3 > 2014-04-17 11:15 GMT-06:00 <gottlieb@×××.edu>:
4 >> On Thu, Apr 17 2014, Jc García wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> 2014-04-17 10:11 GMT-06:00 <gottlieb@×××.edu>:
7 >
8 >> Thank you; that does seem preferable. Is the binary you refer to the
9 >> one in the following message from emerge (I did a --pretend)?
10 >>
11 >> # A more recent source build maintained by the community is available in the
12 >> # seden overlay. A more recent binary is available in the java-overlay.
13 >>
14 >> thanks again,
15 >> allan
16 >>
17 > No, I was referring to the tarball directly downloaded from
18 > eclipse.org and uncompressed in an arbitrary directory(It worked
19 > alright for me that way).
20 >
21 > I hadn't checked out the java overlay for a while, back when I was
22 > settiig up my machine for java, I remember the binary ebuild there,
23 > wasn't compatible with eclim(this was very important for me), but I
24 > think the most recent one is, although is not the newest eclipse
25 > version.
26
27 I have now read some more and am questioning if this is worth it.
28 I don't plan on using eclipse for any real java programming, just to
29 teach java and eclipse. Perhaps I will just live with the eclipse
30 editor for that. There are faculty at nyu who use it and would be
31 helpful.
32
33 But I still have to get some eclipse. I have 4 choices
34
35 1. Install eclipse-sdk from the main tree.
36
37 2. Install a source build from the seden overlay.
38
39 3. Install a binary build from the java overlay.
40
41 4. Install a binary build from eclipse.org.
42
43 Choice 1 is the easiest (add entry in package.unmask) but I hate using
44 masked packages.
45
46 I prefer source to binary and ebuilds to binary tars so I am planning to
47 try 2, if that fails then 3, if that fails then 4.
48
49 Does this sound reasonable?
50
51 allan