From: Jorge Almeida <jalmeida@××××××××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE preferences
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 22:42:48
1 On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Christoph Eckert wrote:
4 >> I had the disastrous idea of trying to update kde 3.3 to 3.4 using
5 >> the new split ebuilds. I tried to reduce bloat by emerging only what
6 >> I thought I really use. Now I have lost ALL my normal user's
7 >>  preferences!!!!!
8 >
9 > AFAIK Gentoo allows to run two KDE versions independently. ~/.kde is
10 > probably a symlink. Perhaps you can copy over the config files from one
11 > ~/.kde3.3 to ~/.kde3.4.
12 jorge@jmaa ~ $ ls -al|grep kde
13 drwx------ 4 jorge users 4096 Aug 31 22:11 .kde
14 drwxr-xr-x 4 jorge users 4096 Nov 24 2004 .kde3.2
15 drwxr-xr-x 5 jorge users 4096 Sep 15 2004 .kde3.3
16 -rw------- 1 jorge users 427 May 15 22:18 .kderc
17 -rwxr-xr-x 1 jorge users 1246 Jul 26 11:25 kde.desktop
18 ~
19 No .kde3.4, as you see. (And I tried symlinking .kde3.4 to .kde3.3 before
20 posting.) When kde started the first time, the wizard
21 showed its face and I told it to quit (didn't want to lose my preferences,
22 of course).
23 I don't know whether copying files is a solution. Are the formats
24 compatible? Anyway, previous upgrades didn't have this effect.
27 >> (Or is it time to give up on kde entirely?)
28 >
29 > Oh yeah, let's flame ;-) .
30 >
31 Flaming is not my idea of fun, but this situation is not acceptable,
32 either. Of course, _maybe_ there is really some package missing...
33 I invested good time customizing KDE to my needs, and I simply cannot
34 work with crappy fonts and no keyboard shortcuts. The font of Konsole
35 was Luxi Mono, which I setted by editting the config file a few versions
36 ago, thanks to the help of someone in this list (yes, in version 3.4 it
37 is still impossible to chose it from the Settings menu...).
38 >
39 Thanks,
40
41 Jorge