From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] firefox.bin vs firefox
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 09:27:29
1 covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 20:59:23 -0500, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Mine takes more than an hour, I don't use tmpfs for /var/tmp/portage
7 >>> because sometimes I need many gigs even more than memory for certain
8 >>> packages. But Linux is pretty good at disk caching, so I wonder if that
9 >>> is it?
10 >> You can change PORTAGE_TMPDIR per-package. I have it on a tmpfs and then
11 >> change it for packages like LO.
12 >>
13 >> % cat /etc/portage/package.env/libreoffice
14 >> app-office/libreoffice disk-tmpdir.conf
15 >>
16 >> % cat /etc/portage/env/disk-tmpdir.conf
17 >> PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/mnt/scratch"
18 > That is interesting, but firefox requires 8g I think of temp space, the
19 > very package which takes so long. I have 16g of memory, but I wonder if
20 > my whole system would start to crawl.
24 I have 16Gbs here and I have portage on tmpfs. Only once has it ran out
25 of room and it was slow as expected. It was working on seamonkey,
26 firefox and LOo all at the same time. Yea, it was memory hungry. It
27 has only did that once during a emerge -e world tho. It's never
28 happened during a normal update.
29
30 I think setting at least LOo to not use memory would pretty much fix
31 this issue. I plan to work on that at some point. I also plan to work
32 on upgrading to 32Gbs too.
33
34 Dale
35