From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] firefox.bin vs firefox
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 09:00:08
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 20:59:23 -0500, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
4 >
5 > > Mine takes more than an hour, I don't use tmpfs for /var/tmp/portage
6 > > because sometimes I need many gigs even more than memory for certain
7 > > packages. But Linux is pretty good at disk caching, so I wonder if that
8 > > is it?
9 >
10 > You can change PORTAGE_TMPDIR per-package. I have it on a tmpfs and then
11 > change it for packages like LO.
12 >
13 > % cat /etc/portage/package.env/libreoffice
14 > app-office/libreoffice disk-tmpdir.conf
15 >
16 > % cat /etc/portage/env/disk-tmpdir.conf
17 > PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/mnt/scratch"
18
19 That is interesting, but firefox requires 8g I think of temp space, the
20 very package which takes so long. I have 16g of memory, but I wonder if
21 my whole system would start to crawl.
25 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
26 How do
27 you spend it?
28
29 John Covici