From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /dev/sda* missing at boot
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 19:08:42
1 On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 1:23 PM, Dan Johansson <Dan.Johansson@×××.nu> wrote:
5 >>>>> > This is definitely not a choice that the gentoo disto made; it is coming
6 >>>>> > from several upstreams.
7 >>>>>
8 >>>>> I know it is from upstream but it still tastes really bad.   ;-)
9 >>>>
10 >>>> I can only agree!
11 >>>> I am having /usr on a LVM volume on all systems (Gentoo and non Gentoo).
12 >>>> This will be a MAJOR issue if /usr needs to be on /.
13 >>>
14 >>> It is my understanding that /usr does *not* need to be on /, only that
15 >>> if you do, you will need an initramfs. Look at
16 >>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/72275 and the thread
17 >>> that followed it.
18 >>
19 >> ...and now I know that my entirely UUID-driven fstab may stop working,
20 >> if they choose not to add that particular "tweak/improvement".
21 >
22 > ...or you could, you know, use the genkernel generated initramfs, or
23 > dracut. Anyway, probably UUIDs and labels will be added to the minimal
24 > initramfs (it is my undrestanding it's kinda easy to do). The
25 > important thing is that it will be still supported.
26
27 I use the proprietary NVidia drivers, so genkernel went away very
28 early in my system's lifetime. I hadn't heard about dracut until
29 today. I still don't know anything about it, really.
32 :wq