From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Link-local ipv6 address in /etc/hosts? in browsers?
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 21:57:01
1 On 2012-01-19, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Indeed. Other reasons to avoid using LL addresses unless necessary:
4 > What if the MAC address on the server changes?
5
6 It won't. It's an embedded device with a hard-wired MAC that the user
7 can't change.
8
9 > What if your network grows to have hundreds of clients?
10
11 Then people probably won't be using L-L addresses. However, for a
12 network that consists of 6 small devices all living inside a cabinet
13 with no router, DHCP server, or connection to the outside workd, L-L
14 is great.
15
16 > Do you really want that much broadcast and wide multicast (think
17 > DNS-SD and NTP in multicast mode) traffic on the same Ethernet
18 > segment?
19
20 That bit I don't understand. It's no worse that ARP, and we seem to
21 live with that quite easily.
22
23 > LL addresses are very useful for diagnostic and investigation
24 > purposes, of course.
25
26 Indeed, and that's what I'm doing.
29 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I'm rated PG-34!!
30 at
31 gmail.com