From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Link-local ipv6 address in /etc/hosts? in browsers?
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 22:54:28
1 On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Grant Edwards
2 <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On 2012-01-19, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Indeed. Other reasons to avoid using LL addresses unless necessary:
6 >> What if the MAC address on the server changes?
7 >
8 > It won't.  It's an embedded device with a hard-wired MAC that the user
9 > can't change.
10
11 It was more a philosophical question, not one of the specific use
12 case. In most systems, hardware NICs fail and may be replaced. (Well,
13 virtualization is making that a bit odd, but still.) I have ideas
14 about your use case, but I can't and won't judge because I don't know
15 enough specifics. Your product, not mine. :)
18 >> What if your network grows to have hundreds of clients?
19 >
20 > Then people probably won't be using L-L addresses.  However, for a
21 > network that consists of 6 small devices all living inside a cabinet
22 > with no router, DHCP server, or connection to the outside workd, L-L
23 > is great.
24
25 Sure, so long as various applications get fixed to understand LL
26 addresses and are corrected to direct traffic to the appropriate
27 interfaces, which is something I'd definitely like to see.
28
29 >> Do you really want that much broadcast and wide multicast (think
30 >> DNS-SD and NTP in multicast mode) traffic on the same Ethernet
31 >> segment?
32 >
33 > That bit I don't understand.  It's no worse that ARP, and we seem to
34 > live with that quite easily.
35
36 Not just arp, but actual broadcast/multicast data. If you've ever run
37 PulseAudio and enabled network sources and sinks on a couple boxes,
38 you might have accidentally discovered an easy way to bring a wireless
39 network to its knees. And that's just something I've had personal
40 experience with. Come to think of it, that's a good reason I should
41 continue to keep my home wired and wireless networks on separate
42 subnets, and not simply bridged as I'd done at the time.
43
44 One anecdote a friend of mine gave me...there was a network he was
45 brought in to manage where he discovered that a huge campus of over a
46 thousand hosts was configured as one large ethernet segment with
47 various-speed links bridging smaller islands. The slower links were
48 absolutely flooded with arp and netbios broadcasts, and the network
49 moved along at a crawl. Chopping that up into a few routed subnets
50 gave the entire network a massive performance boost.
53 >> LL addresses are very useful for diagnostic and investigation
54 >> purposes, of course.
55 >
56 > Indeed, and that's what I'm doing.
59 :wq