From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Link-local ipv6 address in /etc/hosts? in browsers?
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 14:06:52
1 On 2012-01-19, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 >>> Do you really want that much broadcast and wide multicast (think
4 >>> DNS-SD and NTP in multicast mode) traffic on the same Ethernet
5 >>> segment?
6 >>
7 >> That bit I don't understand. ??It's no worse that ARP, and we seem to
8 >> live with that quite easily.
9 >
10 > Not just arp, but actual broadcast/multicast data. If you've ever run
11 > PulseAudio and enabled network sources and sinks on a couple boxes,
12 > you might have accidentally discovered an easy way to bring a wireless
13 > network to its knees. And that's just something I've had personal
14 > experience with. Come to think of it, that's a good reason I should
15 > continue to keep my home wired and wireless networks on separate
16 > subnets, and not simply bridged as I'd done at the time.
17
18 I don't understand what that has to do with L-L address support in
19 applications.
22 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Youth of today!
23 at Join me in a mass rally
24 gmail.com for traditional mental
25 attitudes!