From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emerge Problems...
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 18:00:54
1 ----- Original Message ----
2
3 > From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Sent: Sun, January 30, 2011 7:03:27 AM
6 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emerge Problems...
7 >
8 > On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 20:12:26 -0800 (PST), BRM wrote:
9 >
10 > > Well, I fixed there server - initially by just grabbing a new copy of
11 > > portage like a new install since it was just completely hosed, and the
12 > > server is back up and working. However, now my desktop and laptop are
13 > > both having problems. They sync just fine against the server, but I get
14 > > a series of errors about not having various ebuilds in the manifest
15 > > files - so many that I can't emerge anything (even portage).
16 >
17 > Completely remove the portage tree, fsck the filesystem and then resync.
18
19 Well, I certainly have to try that out.
20
21 > Of course, you can get your other systems working by commenting out any
22 > SYNC entries in make.conf and letting them sync directly with the Gentoo
23 > servers.
24
25 Can't edit the files on the laptop, possible on the desktop though.
26
27 > From: Francesco Talamona <francesco.talamona@××××.eu>
28 > It seems your three systems share a broken portage tree, try with the
29 > latest portage snapshot, for example from
30 > http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/snapshots/
31 >
32 > You can also skip the sync and put it directly on the clients to see if
33 > the rsync service on server is broken...
34 >
35 > Once you stabilize the root cause, it's time to focus on the other
36 > issues (for example run a non-X runlevel on the laptop to fix the login
37 > issue, use nano until vim is ok, and so on).
38
39 I'm not a fan of nano, so I uninstalled it a long time ago. I usually use vim;
40 not sure why vim is referencing perl libraries, but oh well.
41
42 And yes - fixing the portage issue is the first step. After that everything else
43 will just fall out - since I can just run the various emerges and perl-cleaner.
44
45 Ben