From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] *** STOP misuing this list for personal attacks ***
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 17:16:54
1 On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 18:06:12 +0200
2 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > And you have been told repeatedly that the actual real life users on
5 > this actual real life list would like you to stop doing it. We didn't
6 > write that FAQ, I fail to see how it applies and this is not -dev, not
7 > does QA play any role in this.
8
9 The etiquette was perceived to apply anywhere for Gentoo Developers; as
10 you can see, this perception conflicts when coming across different
11 expectations, and therefore the exception has been made.
12
13 This isn't the first time this difference comes up; a former Gentoo
14 Developer, Ciaran, has had a similar moment[1] on this mailing list
15 about 10 years ago with different people around at a point of time
16 where this appears to not have been a strict rule on this mailing list.
17
18 [1]: "[gentoo-user] Mailing List etiquette FAQ" @ Google Groups
19 https://groups.google.com/d/msg/linux.gentoo.user/2-Zv19Ggyus/is5ug9mcCcwJ
22 > Now please learn to play by the rules and expectations of the existing
23 > users of a community you have joined newly.
24
25 The rules and expectations were perceived per etiquette; there's no
26 other place where I can see them listed for the gentoo-user ML in
27 specific, therefore I cannot assume one or two individuals to speak the
28 truth about those rules. Perhaps we can start such a list of rules?
29
30 It gets odd if they conflict with what Gentoo Developers are expected to
31 do per the etiquette, you can see I need to be careful with what I do;
32 therefore I've continued to do what a Gentoo Developer is expected to.
33
34 That's why I was only convinced at the point that a lot more than those
35 two individuals made this request; at that point, it becomes clear that
36 this is a majority rather than those two individuals that asked me.
37
38 > If the doc is so important to you, please update it with an exception
39 > for -user and state this is the general consensus of that list.
40
41 Done.
42
43 > Then please learn how to back down and gracefully accept the wishes of
44 > others. You have no special rights here.
45
46 As per more users, that was done; I always intend to follow the rules.
47
48 Sorry; I hope you see where this approach came from, I'm not trying to
49 override a majority or intentionally act different than the community.
50
51 Sorry again; thank you for your understanding.
52
53 PS: To make it clear that I stopped: The last 15 mails were without CC.
56 With kind regards,
57
58 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
59 Gentoo Developer
60
61 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
62 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
63 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D