From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] usbview - printer shown in red?
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 01:12:09
1 On 11/5/07, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 5 Nov 2007, at 23:08, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > > ...
5 > > I have a printer attached to a machine at a remote location. The
6 > > user says he cannot print. He used to be able to. When I run firefox
7 > > though a tunnel and look in CUPS it says the printer is online but any
8 > > job, including printing a test page, immediately shows up as 'stopped'
9 > > in the print queue...
10 >
11 > Have you tried restarting CUPS?
12 >
13 > CUPS often hangs here & `/etc/init.d/cups restart` has always got it
14 > going again.
15 >
16 > I'm inclined to think the machine is a user's desktop & he's already
17 > rebooted it, but you need to tell us this so we can help you better.
18 > For all we know the machine could be a server stuck in a cupboard &
19 > he doesn't dare to power-cycle it.
20 >
21 > You can also run `lsusb` at the command line & post the output to the
22 > list. Likewise CUPS has command-line utilities - eg: `lpadmin`,
23 > `lpinfo` & `lpstat` - that you can use to obtain diagnostic output
24 > suitable for posting here.
25 >
26 > Stroller.
27
28 Thanks. I found the problem. Apparently in my haste to clean things up
29 I commented out ~x86 on cups and gimp-print. With the sable version
30 this printer just doesn't work. With the ~x86 versions it does.
31
32 It does cause me to ask shy are these versions masked for so long, but
33 that's the subject of another email thread I don't really want to be
34 part of! ;-)
35
36 Anyway, thanks. All's fine as far as I can tell from here. No one is
37 at the printer but now I can at least print a test page and have the
38 CUPS queue tell me it completed.
39
40 Cheers,
41 Mark