From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: upgrading from 2005 S1 to 2008.0?
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 20:12:12
1 On Tuesday 10 March 2009 17:34:31 Douglas J Hunley wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 10 March 2009 10:51:15 Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > > Is it possible to upgrade an existing 2005 S1 install to 2008.0? I gave
4 > > > it a quick try and ran into multiple issues. Before I expend hrs trying
5 > > > to make it work, does anyone know if it's an exercise in futility or
6 > > > not? Thx
7 > >
8 > > You have not given sufficient information for even a half-way decent
9 > > answer. So I will thumb suck:
10 > >
11 > > Is this an install from 2005 that has not been updated since? If so,
12 > > forget it, reinstall.
13 > >
14 > > Is this an install from 2205 that has been updated regularly? If so,
15 > > what's the problem?
16 > >
17 > > Is this some arb install from some arb point in time that is running a
18 > > 2005 profile? If so, change the profile and emerge world.
19 > >
20 > > Some other interpretation that has never crossed my bow?
21 >
22 > It's the first. The box was installed with 2005 S1 and never subsequently
23 > touched and now I've inherited it. Sorry for not specifying that.
24
25 No problem.
26
27 I think it was Dale that already told you what to do: reinstall. It's far
28 easier, and you really don't want to go through the pain of the modular X
29 upgrade, the expat upgrade, KDE monolithic to meta ebuilds and the changes to
30 PAM (just to name a few). Besides, I don't think anyone here remembers anymore
31 how to get through all that :-)
34 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com