From: Douglas J Hunley <doug@×××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: upgrading from 2005 S1 to 2008.0?
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 15:34:52
1 On Tuesday 10 March 2009 10:51:15 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > > Is it possible to upgrade an existing 2005 S1 install to 2008.0? I gave
3 > > it a quick try and ran into multiple issues. Before I expend hrs trying
4 > > to make it work, does anyone know if it's an exercise in futility or not?
5 > > Thx
6 >
7 > You have not given sufficient information for even a half-way decent
8 > answer. So I will thumb suck:
9 >
10 > Is this an install from 2005 that has not been updated since? If so, forget
11 > it, reinstall.
12 >
13 > Is this an install from 2205 that has been updated regularly? If so, what's
14 > the problem?
15 >
16 > Is this some arb install from some arb point in time that is running a 2005
17 > profile? If so, change the profile and emerge world.
18 >
19 > Some other interpretation that has never crossed my bow?
20
21 It's the first. The box was installed with 2005 S1 and never subsequently
22 touched and now I've inherited it. Sorry for not specifying that.
23 --
24 Douglas J Hunley (doug at hunley.homeip.net) - Linux User #174778
25 http://doug.hunley.homeip.net
26
27 Buffy, when I said you could slay vampires and have a social life, I didn't
28 mean at the same time.