From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Software RAID vs "Fake" RAID
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 13:18:03
1 On Montag 27 April 2009, Andrei Susnea wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 16:18:39 +0400, Yahya Mohammad wrote:
4 > >> I'm setting up a new desktop machine with RAID 0. The motherboard I
5 > >> bought supports the so-called "Fake" RAID, which offloads most of the
6 > >> processing to the system CPU. What are the pros and cons of using this
7 > >> as opposed to pure software RAID?
8 > >
9 > > The advantage of FakeRAID is that you get to depend on a Windows-only
10 > > driver that only works with your motherboard and will prevent the RAID
11 > > working if the motherboard files and you try to connect the drives to a
12 > > different system. For some reason,this gives Windows users a warm, fuzzy
13 > > feeling.
14 >
15 > Maybe you want pure hardware raid that's a pci(-e) slot that has a chip
16 > doing all the parity calculations plus a battery keeping data that
17 > didn't manage to write in case of a power failure. That's the best option.
18 > For a mb in order to have fake raid capabilities from my understanding
19 > it has to have a raid chip itself but still most of the calculation is
20 > done by the CPU.
21 > Software raid can be done OS dependant... and you don't need any
22 > hardware or chips for that, it's a form of OS fooling itself instead of
23 > the MB fooling the OS (fake one).
24 >
25 > From my experience with fake raid 0 on 2 hdd's the speeds would be very
26 > nice when talking about small files, but for files with 1gb or more the
27 > writing speed would decrease as the parity calculations get more
28 > complicated.
29
30 there is no parity with raid 0.