From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] planned btrfs conversion: questions
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 10:44:14
1 On 05/11/14 16:53, Mick wrote:
2 > On Saturday 10 May 2014 10:33:19 William Kenworthy wrote:
3 >> Note that as I said in my original
4 >> email, "dirvish" really hammers a file system and only reiserfs seems to
5 >> withstand it though I have gotten errors with it in the past. Ive tried
6 >> ext4 (takes only a couple of backup sessions and its unrecoverable,
7 >> btrfs an occasional error with two complete losses of the
8 >> partition/filesystem since Christmas and reiserfs gets rare errors.
11 > I moved away from reisefs to ext4 because I was getting some random lockups
12 > when I/O was high. While on reiserfs I also had a couple of corrupt mysql
13 > files and all around poor performance. Now, this was on a machine with a
14 > deficient PSU (I replaced a couple of capacitors since then and it is now
15 > working properly) so I don't want to blame the filesystem because of this
16 > hardware problem. In any case, under these impaired conditions ext4 was a
17 > much better performing filesystem than reiserfs. No lock ups, significantly
18 > faster and no corruption was observed in normal operation - I didn't try to
19 > hammer it.
20 >
21 > So I read your paragraph above with surprise, because in my experience the
22 > opposite was true. At the time I thought that reiserfs was perhaps suffering
23 > from bitrot, because these symptoms had gotten worse over time. This is on an
24 > installation running since 2005. Not sure what to conclude from these
25 > anecdotal observations ... :-/
28 Everyone's use case and experience with filesystems seems a bit
29 different. One reason I am moving from reiserfs is bitrot - I can see
30 that reiserfs is losing favour. btrfs has potential ...
31
32 BillK