From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Howto share Linux swap partition with Windows XP
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 16:08:26
1 On 23 Jan 2009, at 14:58, Grant Edwards wrote:
2
3 > On 2009-01-23, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> On 23 Jan 2009, at 05:16, Grant Edwards wrote:
6 >>> ... I found a very slick solution that lets Windows XP use
7 >>> a Linux swap partition for swap/paging/vm/whatever-MS-calls-it:
8 >>>
9 >>> http://db.bme.hu/~surprof/SwapFs-i/
10 >>
11 >> That looks a really cool & useful idea.
12 >>
13 >> However, I have a reservation. Since you NEED to use it -
14 >> perhaps for space considerations?
15 >
16 > Yup. Mainly because I use ntfsclone to keep a bunch of backup
17 > copies of the NTFS partition, and having a 2GB swap file in
18 > every backup copy starts to eat up a lot of disk space.
19
20 It might be possible to script removing the swap file at shutdown (or
21 place a wrapper script to mount the partition & remove the swapfile
22 before running ntfsclone). But I appreciate this is less elegant than
23 just using the same swap partition for both o/s.
24
25 Stroller.