From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Howto share Linux swap partition with Windows XP
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 14:59:04
1 On 2009-01-23, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 23 Jan 2009, at 05:16, Grant Edwards wrote:
4 >> ... I found a very slick solution that lets Windows XP use
5 >> a Linux swap partition for swap/paging/vm/whatever-MS-calls-it:
6 >>
7 >> http://db.bme.hu/~surprof/SwapFs-i/
8 >
9 > That looks a really cool & useful idea.
10 >
11 > However, I have a reservation. Since you NEED to use it -
12 > perhaps for space considerations?
13
14 Yup. Mainly because I use ntfsclone to keep a bunch of backup
15 copies of the NTFS partition, and having a 2GB swap file in
16 every backup copy starts to eat up a lot of disk space.
17
18 > - the go for it, by all means. But if this driver is slower at
19 > reads or writes than Windows' own NTFS driver then it may
20 > actually slow the computer down.
21
22 Could be. My understanding is that the system is still using
23 the Windows NTFS driver. I believe that swapfs is a
24 block-device filter driver that sits between the NTFS driver
25 and the bottom layer block device driver (the IDE driver or the
26 SATA driver or the SCSI driver).
27
28 > In the case of a driver written by an individual, who is
29 > likely not as familiar with Windows' APIs, or who may not be
30 > able to use the private APIs used by Windows' own filesystem
31 > drivers, I find it quite possible the performance may be
32 > questioned.
33
34 Well, there are several individuals who've worked on it. That
35 said, I can't swear that there aren't performance implications.
36 There probably are, since it adds a layer between the SATA
37 driver (in my case) and the NTFS driver. But, I haven't
38 noticed any visible slow-down, and the machine is more than
39 fast enough for my purposes.
40
41 Besides, if you're running MS Windows, you've already lost the
42 war when it comes to swapping performance: anybody who cares
43 about swap performance wouldn't be using a normal file on a
44 normal filesystem for it...
45
46 Someday when I'm bored, maybe I'll google for a file I/O
47 benchmark for windows and run it with and without the swapfs
48 layer.
51 Grant Edwards grante Yow! INSIDE, I have the
52 at same personality disorder
53 visi.com as LUCY RICARDO!!