From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Waaaaaay [OT] Windoze back-up. Sorry to ask. :-(
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 21:41:37
1 On 5/2/06, Teresa and Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > OK, here's my deal. My girlfriend wants to use windoze, yes it has
5 > already died from a bug and it took a while to get it all back to
6 > working, again. This is what I want to do to make it easy when this
7 > happens again, this is windoze so it will happen, likely sooner rather
8 > than later too.
9 >
10 > I want to be able to back her drive up to a CD, the whole thing even if
11 > it takes a few CDs. When it dies again, I want to be able to put in the
12 > first CD and it boot and reinstall everything from there with little
13 > interaction from me.
14 >
15 > Is there such a creature? Please tell me it is free. I'm used to Linux
16 > remember.
17 >
18 > I can't believe I let her spend almost $200.00 on that crappie OS. <
19 > hangs head in shame > She a great person in all other respects though.
20 > I just have to keep working on this area.
21 >
22 > Thanks
23 >
24 > Dale
25 > :-)
28 There is g4l (Ghost For Linux), it is still under work I believe, but
29 it is a great tool, if you never used Ghost (from Symantec) then
30 you're not familiar with Windows (lol). It can backup your
31 disk/partitions and create image files that can be restored later. It
32 has good compression and I have an image for each Windows Machine here
33 at work. A whole install with Office and everything goes about 3 CDs.
34
35 http://freshmeat.net/projects/g4l/
38 Daniel da Veiga
39 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil