From: Teresa and Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Waaaaaay [OT] Windoze back-up. Sorry to ask. :-(
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 22:11:30
1 Daniel da Veiga wrote:
2
3 > On 5/2/06, Teresa and Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hi,
6 >>
7 >> OK, here's my deal. My girlfriend wants to use windoze, yes it has
8 >> already died from a bug and it took a while to get it all back to
9 >> working, again. This is what I want to do to make it easy when this
10 >> happens again, this is windoze so it will happen, likely sooner rather
11 >> than later too.
12 >>
13 >> I want to be able to back her drive up to a CD, the whole thing even if
14 >> it takes a few CDs. When it dies again, I want to be able to put in the
15 >> first CD and it boot and reinstall everything from there with little
16 >> interaction from me.
17 >>
18 >> Is there such a creature? Please tell me it is free. I'm used to Linux
19 >> remember.
20 >>
21 >> I can't believe I let her spend almost $200.00 on that crappie OS. <
22 >> hangs head in shame > She a great person in all other respects though.
23 >> I just have to keep working on this area.
24 >>
25 >> Thanks
26 >>
27 >> Dale
28 >> :-)
31 > There is g4l (Ghost For Linux), it is still under work I believe, but
32 > it is a great tool, if you never used Ghost (from Symantec) then
33 > you're not familiar with Windows (lol). It can backup your
34 > disk/partitions and create image files that can be restored later. It
35 > has good compression and I have an image for each Windows Machine here
36 > at work. A whole install with Office and everything goes about 3 CDs.
37 >
38 > http://freshmeat.net/projects/g4l/
39 >
40 > --
41 > Daniel da Veiga
42 > Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
51 I have heard of Ghost before. I saw it on The Screen Savers show a few
52 times. You are right, I hate windoze. I can install it and set up some
53 stuff but I like to run after that. I would rather go to a dentist than
54 mess with windoze. I make a exception for my brother and my Sweetie.
55
56 May have to check on that.
57
58 Thanks