From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo & GRUB help
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 13:50:48
1 --- Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 01 January 2008 16:00:51 BRM wrote:
3 > > I got it working by setting up grub.conf to focus on hd0, while at
4 > the
5 > > grub prompt I referred to it as hd1. That is, imho, just weird, and
6 > > another reason why LILO wins out in my book as LILO matches Linux's
7 > device
8 > > names pretty well.
9 > I suggest that you create /boot/grub/device.map with the bootable
10 > devices
11 > listed in the order in which the BIOS presents them to grub at boot
12 > time*.
13 > This will cause the run-time grub to use them in the same order as
14 > the
15 > boot-time grub. The grub manual tells you how to create and use this
16 > file.
17
18 Thanks. Oddly, grub detects hda and fd0 as boot devices - there is no
19 floppy and hda does not have a partition marked for boot. Any how...at
20 least hd0 points to hdb now.
21
22 > * This is an advantage of grub's naming convention. If you interrupt
23 > the
24 > boot sequence and use grub to show the partitions on each drive in
25 > turn
26 > (hd0, hd1, ...), regardless of their interface types, you can
27 > thenceforward
28 > be confident of whether, say, hda or sda is presented first. If you
29 > had to
30 > specify each type separately, you still wouldn't know that.
31
32 >From one perspective yes. From other, more important povs, no. However,
33 this is not the place to go into that discussion. E-mail me off-line if
34 you want to discuss it. In either case...
35
36 Thanks for the helpful info with GRUB.
37
38 Ben
39 --
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list