From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo & GRUB help
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 10:49:43
1 On Tuesday 01 January 2008 16:00:51 BRM wrote:
2
3 > I got it working by setting up grub.conf to focus on hd0, while at the
4 > grub prompt I referred to it as hd1. That is, imho, just weird, and
5 > another reason why LILO wins out in my book as LILO matches Linux's device
6 > names pretty well.
7
8 I suggest that you create /boot/grub/device.map with the bootable devices
9 listed in the order in which the BIOS presents them to grub at boot time*.
10 This will cause the run-time grub to use them in the same order as the
11 boot-time grub. The grub manual tells you how to create and use this file.
12 Here's mine:
13
14 $ cat /boot/grub/device.map
15 (hd0) /dev/hda
16 (hd1) /dev/sda
17 (hd2) /dev/sdb
18 (hd3) /dev/sdc
19 (hd4) /dev/sdd
20
21 Note also that you can play various tunes on the boot-order theme by setting
22 values in your BIOS. In my case I can select IDE or SATA to boot first, and
23 separately I get a list of connected bootable devices to put in my
24 preferred order. That setting seems to override the first one, so it's the
25 only one I use nowadays. I think I have another setting as well, but I
26 don't want to reboot the machine just to find out.
27
28 You should be able to get realities to match by judicious use of these
29 settings.
30
31 * This is an advantage of grub's naming convention. If you interrupt the
32 boot sequence and use grub to show the partitions on each drive in turn
33 (hd0, hd1, ...), regardless of their interface types, you can thenceforward
34 be confident of whether, say, hda or sda is presented first. If you had to
35 specify each type separately, you still wouldn't know that.
38 Rgds
39 Peter
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list