From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gnome without PulseAudio?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 16:39:46
1 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 9:28 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
4 > > Hi there!
5 > >
6 > > Recently, PulseAudio got installed. Seems like gnome-settings-daemon
7 > > version 3 no longer has the pulseaudio use flag, so it wants pulseaudio,
8 > > which needs alsa-plugins built with the pulseaudio use flag. I wouldn't
9 > > mind using PulseAudio, but ist starts automatically when I play movies,
10 > > and I get no sound output in mplayer or VLC. And there are weird side
11 > > effects, sometimes playback stops, I have to make it run again by
12 > > skipping back and forward. Sometimes videos play much faster than normal.
13 >
14 > Is MPlayer using PulseAudio? Maybe if it did, the problem would go
15 > away; I have this in my ~/.mplayer/config:
16 >
17 > ao=pulse
18 >
19 > For sure, VLC has an option to use PA by default also.
20 >
21 > > So I would like to get rid of it. Is this possible? I don't really use
22 > > Gnome, but I like to have it to see how it develops. And I wouldn't like
23 > > to remove it just because of a sound problem.
24 >
25 > GNOME 3 depends (strongly, I think) on PulseAudio; you don't say which
26 > version of GNOME are you using, but in GNOME 2 PA was optional.
27 >
28 > > Maybe the PulseAudio problem is the same as I had with ALSA, I have two
29 > > internal cards, and I had to tell ALSA not to prefer the SPDIF one.
30 > > Maybe I have to do the same with PulseAudio, but I do not know how.
31 >
32 > Try media-sound/pavucontrol; you can select which card the sounds goes
33 > through, and which output to use (HDMI, for example).
34 >
35 > > And
36 > > the weird playback effects are spooky, I'd prefer to keep things as they
37 > > are, at the moment I'm happy with plain ALSA.
38 >
39 > I don't think it is possible to uninstall completely PA in GNOME 3; I
40 > remember it was possible in GNOME 2.
41 >
42 > > And what is starting the pulseaudio process? I can kill it, but it comes
43 > > back the next time I run mplayer. Is there a way to just disable it?
44 >
45 > If I recall correctly, the GNOME session manager will keep starting PA
46 > if the daemon dies.
47
48 I am not using pulse audio -- I told portage I had it and that seemed to
49 make the packages happy -- I will see what happens.
53 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
54 How do
55 you spend it?
56
57 John Covici