From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: URGENT: nfs stopped working
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 23:30:52
1 On 04/29/2011 05:46 PM, Michael Sullivan wrote:
2 > OK. I recently switched my three computers (carter, camille, and
3 > catherine) to the new gcc profile: i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.5 from
4 > i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.3.4. As recommended, I performed emerge -e system
5 > and then emerge -e world on all of them. Carter finished his emerge -e
6 > world a couple of days ago (he's faster than the others). Camille and
7 > catherine were a few hundred packages from the end of their emerge -e
8 > world when the power went out. Carter supplies daily
9 > updated /usr/portage to camille and catherine via nfs, but when I
10 > restarted the computers when the power came back on, I get this:
11 >
12 > camille ~ # mount carter:/usr/portage /usr/portage/
13 > mount.nfs: an incorrect mount option was specified
14 >
15 > Am I not constructing my command correctly?
16 >
17 > I have tried mount -t nfs and it still doesn't work. I can ping carter
18 > fine, and carter says nfs is running. How do I get nfs back?
19
20 I use nfs about twice/year to transfer large files between machines -- so
21 I'm quite an expert at praying to the computer gods to "please let this nfs
22 mount work just this one last time and I'll never bother you again, I promise!"
23
24 I'm lying, of course, because I intend to do it again six months from now.
25
26 Every time, the computer gods make me suffer through multiple attempts to
27 guess the correct magic prayer before the remote nfs filesystem finally
28 appears for its biannual visit on /mnt/nfs.
29
30 Yes, I may well be paranoid, but it seems to me that the magic prayer for
31 nfs mounts changes every time I need it.
32
33 Sometimes I succeed using mount.nfs4, sometimes using mount -t nfs -o
34 nfsvers=4, or sometimes just mount -t nfs.
35
36 I have NFI what the real secret is, so I ask you nfs wonks to have mercy
37 and fill us in...