From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question regarding dual boot accessibility...
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 19:29:57
1 On Monday 26 February 2007, Chris wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I have a dual boot windows / Gentoo system. I have my NTFS (windows)
5 > main partition listed in fstab with "user,noauto,nosuid, noatime". A
6 > normal user can mount and umount it, but cannot change directories,
7 > look at files, etc. as they'll get a permission denied error. When I
8 > list the files and dirs, they all show up as belonging to
9 > "root:root", with no access for group and others.
10 >
11 > My question is: Is there a way to allow normal users to at least
12 > read these files and change dirs, short of chown and/or chmod on the
13 > NTFS partition?
14
15 ntfs does not understand unix permissions, so there is no concept of a
16 unix owner and group. You use the uid and gid options to fudge one -
17 normally root:root is ok.
18
19 Then to set permissions, use the umask option. 0555 should be OK -
20 read/execute for all. It must be 5 otherwise you can't cd into a
21 directory.
22
23 Actually you want fmask and dmask options like as in vfat, but mount -t
24 ntfs doesn't support that, so you have to make do with umask.
25
26 alan
32 Optimists say the glass is half full,
33 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
34 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
35
36 Alan McKinnon
37 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
38 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
39 --
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list