From: Colin <signofzeta@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My winmodem works on linux-on-laptops.com
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 07:25:51
1 Grant wrote:
2
3 >>>>I'm not sure here (but someone will point if I'm mistaken), but ppp
4 >>>>init script is intend to bring up adsl based connections, while you
5 >>>>need a dialler to connect dial-up, back in the days I had dial-up I
6 >>>>used minicom, and later kppp to handle this... In fact, you need to
7 >>>>set your device (usually /dev/modem) and use a program to dial using
8 >>>>that modem, this will create the ppp0 interface for you, and also
9 >>>>(most of them) will set is as the default route. Any server with
10 >>>>dial-up has configurations, and that's what your ISP have in their
11 >>>>script, you just find them out and put the same config at your dialer.
12 >>>>
13 >>>>
14 >>>>
15 >>>>
16 >>>Thanks Daniel, I'm really strung out here. I do have the net.ppp0
17 >>>interface now. Maybe I just need to emerge and utilize minicom? How
18 >>>can I do that when all I have is a Gentoo system that can't get online
19 >>>and an XP system that can dial up?
20 >>>
21 >>>
22 >>>
23 >>There are two options:
24 >>
25 >>1. Network the two machines (via Ethernet, FireWire...) and set up
26 >>Internet Connection Sharing on XP. Tell the Gentoo box to use the XP
27 >>box as its gateway and DNS server. Make sure both machines use the IP
28 >>range 192.168.0.x/255.255.255.0, the XP one being 192.168.0.1.
29 >>
30 >>2. Sneaker net--use emerge -fpu whatever 2>
31 >>/mnt/removablemedia/download.txt, and then bring download.txt to Windows
32 >>and use the Windows version of wget to get the files that you need.
33 >>Then copy them over to the Gentoo box.
34 >>
35 >>I wrote a Wiki article on networkless installs. You might find that
36 >>helpful.
37 >>http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Networkless_stage1_Install
38 >>
39 >>--
40 >>Colin
44 >Ok, thanks Colin. I'm ready to do this to get minicom but are you
45 >sure that is the missing piece of my puzzle? I've asked about getting
46 >dial-up working before and slmodem and ppp were the only mentioned
47 >emerges. /etc/conf.d/net.ppp0 sure looks like it's a configuration
48 >file for normal dial-up connections. It asks for a phone number to
49 >dial and everything. Please confirm that I really need minicom and I
50 >will dig into that.
51 >
52 I don't know about that. I've never used dial-up under Linux. But if
53 things aren't working now, minicom might fix it.
56 Colin
59 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list