From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My winmodem works on linux-on-laptops.com
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 06:36:20
1 > >>I'm not sure here (but someone will point if I'm mistaken), but ppp
2 > >>init script is intend to bring up adsl based connections, while you
3 > >>need a dialler to connect dial-up, back in the days I had dial-up I
4 > >>used minicom, and later kppp to handle this... In fact, you need to
5 > >>set your device (usually /dev/modem) and use a program to dial using
6 > >>that modem, this will create the ppp0 interface for you, and also
7 > >>(most of them) will set is as the default route. Any server with
8 > >>dial-up has configurations, and that's what your ISP have in their
9 > >>script, you just find them out and put the same config at your dialer.
10 > >>
11 > >>
12 > >
13 > >Thanks Daniel, I'm really strung out here. I do have the net.ppp0
14 > >interface now. Maybe I just need to emerge and utilize minicom? How
15 > >can I do that when all I have is a Gentoo system that can't get online
16 > >and an XP system that can dial up?
17 > >
18 > There are two options:
19 >
20 > 1. Network the two machines (via Ethernet, FireWire...) and set up
21 > Internet Connection Sharing on XP. Tell the Gentoo box to use the XP
22 > box as its gateway and DNS server. Make sure both machines use the IP
23 > range 192.168.0.x/255.255.255.0, the XP one being 192.168.0.1.
24 >
25 > 2. Sneaker net--use emerge -fpu whatever 2>
26 > /mnt/removablemedia/download.txt, and then bring download.txt to Windows
27 > and use the Windows version of wget to get the files that you need.
28 > Then copy them over to the Gentoo box.
29 >
30 > I wrote a Wiki article on networkless installs. You might find that
31 > helpful.
32 > http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Networkless_stage1_Install
33 >
34 > --
35 > Colin
36
37 Ok, thanks Colin. I'm ready to do this to get minicom but are you
38 sure that is the missing piece of my puzzle? I've asked about getting
39 dial-up working before and slmodem and ppp were the only mentioned
40 emerges. /etc/conf.d/net.ppp0 sure looks like it's a configuration
41 file for normal dial-up connections. It asks for a phone number to
42 dial and everything. Please confirm that I really need minicom and I
43 will dig into that.
44
45 - Grant
48 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list