From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems with "mailto" (fcrontab)
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 04:47:01
1 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> [15-05-24 05:52]:
2 > On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 03:34:09AM +0200, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote
3 > >
4 > > What reasons disable fcron to send mail to me or root?
5 >
6 > By convention, it seems that all MTAs have symlinks at
7 > /usr/bin/sendmail /usr/lib/sendmail and /usr/sbin/sendmail. Programs
8 > that automatically send email, expect to find "sendmail" symlinks. Do
9 > you have those symlinks from msmtp?
10 >
11 > My most embarressing linux moment was when ssmtp sent output from
12 > verbose cron jobs to root (at me). My ssmtp was configured to simply
13 > re-route everything to my ISP's MTA. The net result was that the output
14 > went to root@my_ISP "They were not amused". That was when I learned
15 > about setting the destination for all userids < 10 to myself. I also
16 > ran a script designed to break the symlinks and prevent portage from
17 > making sendmail symlinks...
18 >
19 > rm -r /usr/bin/sendmail
20 > rm -r /usr/lib/sendmail
21 > rm -r /usr/sbin/sendmail
22 > mkdir /usr/bin/sendmail
23 > touch /usr/bin/sendmail/.keep
24 > mkdir /usr/lib/sendmail
25 > touch /usr/lib/sendmail/.keep
26 > mkdir /usr/sbin/sendmail
27 > touch /usr/sbin/sendmail/.keep
28 >
29 > That worked great for a few years. Portage output an error message
30 > about being unable to symlink, but continued. Then portage changed the
31 > failure mode to shut down portage when it was unable to create
32 > symlinks... AAARRRGGGHHH. Now when that happens, I remove the
33 > "sendmail" directories, run emerge to build ssmtp, and then run the
34 > script to break the symlinks. I know that it's redundant, after setting
35 > destination for uid < 10, but "once burned, twice shy".
36 >
37 > --
38 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
39 > I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications
42 Hi Walter,
43
44 This is, what I have found:
45
46 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 Feb 11 19:25 /usr/bin/sendmail -> /usr/bin/msmtp
47
48 My email address (see above) is different from my userid on my Linux
49 box and (personally) I dont have configured anything which alias
50 my userid to my email address or vice versa.
51
52 I will now try to let fcron to mail to me (my userid so to speak)
53 instead of root since the fcrontab is alos mine.
54
55 When I do something like this
56
57 cat <file> | mail <my userid>
58
59 or
60
61 cat <file> | mail <my userid>@localhost
62
63 I get
64
65 send-mail: recipient address <my userid> not accepted by the server
66 send-mail: server message: 501 Syntax error in parameters or arguments
67 send-mail: could not send mail (account default from /home/<my userid>/.msmtprc)
68 Can't send mail: sendmail process failed with error code 65
69
70 send-mail: recipient address <my userid>@localhost not accepted by the server
71 send-mail: server message: 550-Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable
72 send-mail: server message: 550 invalid DNS MX or A/AAAA resource record
73 send-mail: could not send mail (account default from /home/<my userid>/.msmtprc)
74 Can't send mail: sendmail process failed with error code 65
77 Question for me is: Is "server" my ISP's server? Or a default error
78 message" or something which is exspected to be installed at my Linux
79 box?
80
81 By the way:
82 > That was when I learned
83 > about setting the destination for all userids < 10 to myself. I also
84 > ran a script designed to break the symlinks and prevent portage from
85 > making sendmail symlinks...
86
87 It may be, that I have to learn it too. ;)
88 What shall I do to acchive this?
89
90 Best regards,
91 Meino