From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems with "mailto" (fcrontab)
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 03:42:49
1 On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 03:34:09AM +0200, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote
2 >
3 > What reasons disable fcron to send mail to me or root?
4
5 By convention, it seems that all MTAs have symlinks at
6 /usr/bin/sendmail /usr/lib/sendmail and /usr/sbin/sendmail. Programs
7 that automatically send email, expect to find "sendmail" symlinks. Do
8 you have those symlinks from msmtp?
9
10 My most embarressing linux moment was when ssmtp sent output from
11 verbose cron jobs to root (at me). My ssmtp was configured to simply
12 re-route everything to my ISP's MTA. The net result was that the output
13 went to root@my_ISP "They were not amused". That was when I learned
14 about setting the destination for all userids < 10 to myself. I also
15 ran a script designed to break the symlinks and prevent portage from
16 making sendmail symlinks...
17
18 rm -r /usr/bin/sendmail
19 rm -r /usr/lib/sendmail
20 rm -r /usr/sbin/sendmail
21 mkdir /usr/bin/sendmail
22 touch /usr/bin/sendmail/.keep
23 mkdir /usr/lib/sendmail
24 touch /usr/lib/sendmail/.keep
25 mkdir /usr/sbin/sendmail
26 touch /usr/sbin/sendmail/.keep
27
28 That worked great for a few years. Portage output an error message
29 about being unable to symlink, but continued. Then portage changed the
30 failure mode to shut down portage when it was unable to create
31 symlinks... AAARRRGGGHHH. Now when that happens, I remove the
32 "sendmail" directories, run emerge to build ssmtp, and then run the
33 script to break the symlinks. I know that it's redundant, after setting
34 destination for uid < 10, but "once burned, twice shy".
37 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
38 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications