From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kdehiddenvisibility: What does it do?
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 16:19:10
1 On Monday 29 May 2006 11:18, Eskej wrote:
2 > On Mon, 29 May 2006 12:24:20 +0400, Dirk Heinrichs
3 >
4 > <ext-dirk.heinrichs@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > Read my first mail again, please. I didn't write about a single app, I
6 > > wrote
7 > > about KDE startup.
8 >
9 > Oh, I'm sorry but shouldn't a single app be affected? And KDE startup time
10 > is hardly to measure.
11 > So the question is open: has anybody noticed a _single application_
12 > performance increase with GCC 4.1 and hidden visibility. KDE I mean.
13 > Or maybe Konsole is no good to make tests? But it is the only precise test
14 > I know. When it is about milliseconds human cannot see the difference
15 > really.
16
17 kdeinit exists to 'preload' all libs. It was introduced, to keep the loading
18 time of apps down to a bearable time. Without kdeinit or prelink, the startup
19 time of every kde app would be insane. That is, why a single app should not
20 be so much affected like the overall kde startup time. After the start,
21 everything is 'prelinked' (not really, but kdeinit will be running), and the
22 times of the apps are depend on how fast they 'link' against kdeinit....
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list