From: Mick <michaelkintzios@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: chroot: cannot run command `bin/bash': Exec format error
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 23:35:33
1 John Jolet wrote:
6 > On 2/22/06 5:03 PM, "Bo Andresen" <bo.andresen@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >
8 >> Hi
9 >>
10 >> I have just purchased a new computer with a AMD Semphron 2800+ 64 bit
11 >> processor. I am installing it following the gentoo handbook of the amd64
12 >> architecture - only I am using the x86 minimal livecd (2005-r1) and the
13 >> stage3-amd64-2005.1-r1.tar.bz2 tarball. Shouldn that be a problem?
14 >>
15 >> When I get to step 6a (chrooting)
16 >>
17 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=6#doc_cha
18 >> p1
19 >> I get the following error:
20 >>
21 >> livecd gentoo # chroot /mnt/gentoo bin/bash
22 >> chroot: cannot run command `bin/bash': Exec format error
23 > I've seen that when chrooting into 64-bit environment from a 32-bit
24 > kernel.
25 > You cannot boot from the x86 minimal and use an amd64 stage file. You
26 > need the amd64 boot cd.
27 >>
28 >> I did use LVM2 for partitioning but other than that I have followed the
29 >> handbook very throughly. I hope someone has a solution. Please feel free
30 >> to ask for any information that may be helpful.
31 >
32 At the same time when you run a command you need to type the path to it
33 correctly. In this case the path is preceded by /, as in:
35 /bin/bash
37
38 You really need to double check commands before you hit return as it is easy
39 to miss a character and the whole sequence goes to pot.
40 --
41 Regards,
42 Mick
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list