From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chroot: cannot run command `bin/bash': Exec format error
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 23:29:09
1 On 2/22/06 5:03 PM, "Bo Andresen" <bo.andresen@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Hi
4 >
5 > I have just purchased a new computer with a AMD Semphron 2800+ 64 bit
6 > processor. I am installing it following the gentoo handbook of the amd64
7 > architecture - only I am using the x86 minimal livecd (2005-r1) and the
8 > stage3-amd64-2005.1-r1.tar.bz2 tarball. Shouldn that be a problem?
9 >
10 > When I get to step 6a (chrooting)
11 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=6#doc_cha
12 > p1
13 > I get the following error:
14 >
15 > livecd gentoo # chroot /mnt/gentoo bin/bash
16 > chroot: cannot run command `bin/bash': Exec format error
17 I've seen that when chrooting into 64-bit environment from a 32-bit kernel.
18 You cannot boot from the x86 minimal and use an amd64 stage file. You need
19 the amd64 boot cd.
20 >
21 > I did use LVM2 for partitioning but other than that I have followed the
22 > handbook very throughly. I hope someone has a solution. Please feel free to
23 > ask for any information that may be helpful.
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list