From: Nilesh Govindrajan <me@××××××××.com>
To: James Cloos <cloos@×××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Selecting a Linux compatible mobo for FX8350
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 04:53:48
1 On Wednesday 13 February 2013 01:53:18 AM IST, James Cloos wrote:
2 >>>>>> "NG" == Nilesh Govindrajan <me@××××××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 > NG> I'm searching for a mobo which is fully compatible with Linux and
5 > NG> supports AMD FX 8350. Preferably, I'm looking for one with onboard
6 > NG> GFX, since I don't have any need for a big GFX for now.
7 >
8 > The only boards I've seen which have an AM3 socket and onboard video
9 > have the older chipsets which lack support for 1600 MHz and 8Gig dimms
10 > or the boards intended for the opteron 3000 series.
11 >
12 > I do not know whether the latter will work with an FX.
13 >
14 > Supermicro's line of opteron 3000 boards is at:
15 >
16 > http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron3000/
17 >
18 > They seem to cost on the order of $300 w/o SAS o $400 with.
19 >
20 > Otherwise onboard graphics means gx790 boards.
21 >
22 > OTOH, it looks like a opteron 4300 chip or two with one of these boards:
23 >
24 > http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron4000/
25 >
26 > makes for a great atx or micro-atx compute box for only a bit more than
27 > one would pay for a piledriver FX chip and fx990 board.
28 >
29 > -JimC
30
31 I discussed this with a hardware expert friend of mine, and he said on
32 board GPU could interfere with certain features of the FX8350.
33 Additionally, no support for 1600 Mhz DDR3 could slow down the system.
34 Going by his suggestion, I'll get a HD Radeon 7750 and a 970 series
35 motherboard.
36
37 Thanks :-)
40 Nilesh Govindarajan