From: James Cloos <cloos@×××××××.com>
To: Nilesh Govindrajan <me@××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Selecting a Linux compatible mobo for FX8350
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 20:35:02
1 >>>>> "NG" == Nilesh Govindrajan <me@××××××××.com> writes:
2
3 NG> I'm searching for a mobo which is fully compatible with Linux and
4 NG> supports AMD FX 8350. Preferably, I'm looking for one with onboard
5 NG> GFX, since I don't have any need for a big GFX for now.
6
7 The only boards I've seen which have an AM3 socket and onboard video
8 have the older chipsets which lack support for 1600 MHz and 8Gig dimms
9 or the boards intended for the opteron 3000 series.
10
11 I do not know whether the latter will work with an FX.
12
13 Supermicro's line of opteron 3000 boards is at:
14
15 http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron3000/
16
17 They seem to cost on the order of $300 w/o SAS o $400 with.
18
19 Otherwise onboard graphics means gx790 boards.
20
21 OTOH, it looks like a opteron 4300 chip or two with one of these boards:
22
23 http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron4000/
24
25 makes for a great atx or micro-atx compute box for only a bit more than
26 one would pay for a piledriver FX chip and fx990 board.
27
28 -JimC
29 --
30 James Cloos <cloos@×××××××.com> OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6