From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Amazon-Instant video
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 21:21:55
1 On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 08:09:13PM -0600, Kevin Brandstatter wrote:
2 > No thats not it, i am using the adobe plugin not pepperflash.
3 > This is the message that I get
4 >
5 > http://imgur.com/LoNB9RV
6 >
7 > -Kevin
8 >
9 > On 02/12/2013 09:14 AM, Bruce Hill wrote:
10 > > On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 01:32:10AM -0600, Kevin Brandstatter wrote:
11 > >> I just got amazon prime for the instant videos (among other things) and
12 > >> figured i should
13 > >> be able to watch it on linux since its in flash.
14 > >> However, I have had no luck getting it to play an instant video,
15 > >> i've narrowed it down to videos with DRM, (because trailers play fine
16 > >> and DRM screws up everything)
17 > >> Google searches come up that it needs HAL (which is deprecated)
18 > >> I even managed to install HAL, and still no luck
19 > >>
20 > >> i keep getting "error occurred and your player cannot be updated"
21 > >> I have the latest flash, chrome and firefox. (tried both)
22 > >>
23 > >> Just wondering if others are having the same trouble or if someone has a
24 > >> solution.
25 > >>
26 > >> -Kevin
27 > > Is this attached screenshot the type of message you get? If so, you should
28 > > have clicked on the link there which states "Why can't I watch videos on my
29 > > Chrome browser in Linux?" ... and this is the message it provides:
30 > >
31 > > The Flash Player Plugin in Chrome removed support for Digital Rights
32 > > Management (DRM) in Linux as part of the upgrade from 11.3 to 11.4. This
33 > > upgrade was bundled with the latest Chrome 22 update for Linux. If you applied
34 > > the Chrome update, you are no longer able to watch DRM-protected content, such
35 > > as movies and TV episodes. Trailers are unaffected as they do not use DRM. To
36 > > get around this issue, you can use a different browser, such as Firefox. For
37 > > information on Chrome and the Flash Player plug-in, see:
38 > > https://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=108086.
39 > >
40 > > My Gentoo workstation is using firefox-18.0.1 and just updated to
41 > > adobe-flash-11.2.202.262 but won't play the free instant video I tried.
42 > >
43 > > Since that's the latest version of flash in portage, I supposed you could try
44 > > and get the later source and create a local overlay and try that.
45
46 It's the same error message, I just forgot to attach the screenshot before.
47 Here it is attached now.
48
49 You really just can't get all the web experiences you want w/out the darkside.
50 --
51 Happy Penguin Computers >')
52 126 Fenco Drive ( \
53 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^
54 support@×××××××××××××××××××××.com
55 662-269-2706 662-205-6424
56 http://happypenguincomputers.com/
57
58 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
59 Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
60 A: Top-posting.
61 Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
62
63 Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting

screenshot.png image/png