From: Kevin Brandstatter <kjbrandstatter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Amazon-Instant video
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 02:09:30
1 No thats not it, i am using the adobe plugin not pepperflash.
2 This is the message that I get
3
4 http://imgur.com/LoNB9RV
5
6 -Kevin
7
8 On 02/12/2013 09:14 AM, Bruce Hill wrote:
9 > On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 01:32:10AM -0600, Kevin Brandstatter wrote:
10 >> I just got amazon prime for the instant videos (among other things) and
11 >> figured i should
12 >> be able to watch it on linux since its in flash.
13 >> However, I have had no luck getting it to play an instant video,
14 >> i've narrowed it down to videos with DRM, (because trailers play fine
15 >> and DRM screws up everything)
16 >> Google searches come up that it needs HAL (which is deprecated)
17 >> I even managed to install HAL, and still no luck
18 >>
19 >> i keep getting "error occurred and your player cannot be updated"
20 >> I have the latest flash, chrome and firefox. (tried both)
21 >>
22 >> Just wondering if others are having the same trouble or if someone has a
23 >> solution.
24 >>
25 >> -Kevin
26 > Is this attached screenshot the type of message you get? If so, you should
27 > have clicked on the link there which states "Why can't I watch videos on my
28 > Chrome browser in Linux?" ... and this is the message it provides:
29 >
30 > The Flash Player Plugin in Chrome removed support for Digital Rights
31 > Management (DRM) in Linux as part of the upgrade from 11.3 to 11.4. This
32 > upgrade was bundled with the latest Chrome 22 update for Linux. If you applied
33 > the Chrome update, you are no longer able to watch DRM-protected content, such
34 > as movies and TV episodes. Trailers are unaffected as they do not use DRM. To
35 > get around this issue, you can use a different browser, such as Firefox. For
36 > information on Chrome and the Flash Player plug-in, see:
37 > https://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=108086.
38 >
39 > My Gentoo workstation is using firefox-18.0.1 and just updated to
40 > adobe-flash-11.2.202.262 but won't play the free instant video I tried.
41 >
42 > Since that's the latest version of flash in portage, I supposed you could try
43 > and get the later source and create a local overlay and try that.