From: Daniel Iliev <daniel.iliev@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Replacing my router
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 20:32:16
1 On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 01:16:37 +1000
2 Dave Oxley <dave@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 > So what I want to do is setup my switch as a router.
6
7 No can do.
8
9 > I'm a bit of a newbie on advanced networking but I think that a
10 > router is basically just a switch with a VLAN for the local network
11 > and VLAN for the WAN. Is this assumption correct?
14 No, it is not. Those are two different pieces of equipment which work on
15 different levels of the OSI model. For further assistance, please,
16 describe clearly what kind of equipment is at your disposal and what
17 (not how) you are trying to achieve.
21 Best regards,
22 Daniel
23 --