From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Re: Is GWN dead?
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 16:33:26
1 Galevsky ha scritto:
2 >> The reason other distro have complex live cds for installing is that
3 >> they *need that*. Gentoo does not need this additional complexity.
4 >> Nevertheless a live cd there was, but as you experienced, it's more the
5 >> trouble it causes than that it solves.
6 >
7 > I disagree. Gentoo needs it too. Because *THE* point that made me love
8 > Gentoo *in the FIRST second*, was: "GOD !!! look at this wonderful
9 > handbook !!!! look at that so didactic installation way !!! Let's boot
10 > the minimal CD and burn a full LiveCD !"
11
12 What would have been different with:
13 "GOD !!! look at this wonderful
14 > handbook !!!! look at that so didactic installation way !!! Let's boot
15 > a live CD and start installing!"
16
17 I'm extremly dense probably, since I really don't get it.
18
19 > And I was so happy to get my minimal/live CD's that I think "Yeah, a
20 > very nice distro, taking your hand from the beginning to bring
21 > knowledge step-by-step, providing all that you need... software and
22 > amazing doc".
23
24 Again, what would have been different in your happiness with another cd?
25
26 > Yes. It is a feature. As well as the possibility to use minimal/live
27 > CD. Look at http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/staffing-needs/ and
28 > read the first task requiring staff: "1 accessibility Requested
29 > on November 19, 2006 by William Hubbs: Gentoo's accessibility project
30 > is in need of help with things such as ebuild maintenance, kernel
31 > hacking, and *LiveCD creation*. We're also in need of someone to
32 > assist with bug solving."
33
34 So, without the live cd, the accessibility project would have a thing
35 less to solve. I can't see how having more troubles and no advantage is
36 a positive thing, but again: I'm probably extremly dense.
37
38 > Because I want. It is sufficient for me. Further details ? I would
39 > like to bring the excitation to burn a Gentoo CD to noobs and people
40 > that are pleased to get their CD from Gentoo world.
41
42 We're excited by different things :)
43
44 > And I want a
45 > liveCD to make live demo in my linux promotional association, to show
46 > how easy emerge is, how very nicely the rc are handled (not based on
47 > naming as debian does) and so on...
48
49 Beautiful, but this has nothing to do with the need of a gentoo install
50 cd. However a Gentoo demo cd is a nice project. Happy hacking, anyway!
51
52 m.
53 --
54 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list