From: Galevsky <galevsky@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Re: Is GWN dead?
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:08:07
1 On Jan 14, 2008 1:19 AM, b.n. <brullonulla@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Let me explain. You began complaining because the Gentoo live cd
3 > *exists*, but it is out of date and didn't support your hardware. It's a
4 > reasonable complain in the assumption you need the Gentoo cd (and you
5 > can't do with anything else): you of course want your hardware to be
6 > supported by the medium installation.
7 >
8 > Now, imagine the official Gentoo live cd *never existed*. You probably
9 > just would have picked up some cd you knew supported your system (say,
10 > latest Ubuntu) and installed using that. No complaining, no discussions,
11 > everyone happy.
12
13 You are right.
14
15 > See? Having the Gentoo live cd *was wrong from the beginning*. It put
16 > another fairly complex piece of software to support on developer
17 > shoulders, offered vanishingly little benefit, and when it fails it
18 > immediately puts blame on Gentoo: "hey this cd doesn't support my
19 > hardware, wtf" that can offset potential users.
20
21 Still right.
22
23 > The reason other distro have complex live cds for installing is that
24 > they *need that*. Gentoo does not need this additional complexity.
25 > Nevertheless a live cd there was, but as you experienced, it's more the
26 > trouble it causes than that it solves.
27
28 I disagree. Gentoo needs it too. Because *THE* point that made me love
29 Gentoo *in the FIRST second*, was: "GOD !!! look at this wonderful
30 handbook !!!! look at that so didactic installation way !!! Let's boot
31 the minimal CD and burn a full LiveCD !"
32
33 And I was so happy to get my minimal/live CD's that I think "Yeah, a
34 very nice distro, taking your hand from the beginning to bring
35 knowledge step-by-step, providing all that you need... software and
36 amazing doc".
37
38 > And not having a live cd on which Gentoo is obliged to depend is not a
39 > bug: sir, it's a feature! The live cd didn't support my Macbook Pro
40 > networking. Well, fine: Kubuntu did. I had a Kubuntu 7.10 cd around,
41 > booted from that, no hassle at all. Other distros have to support their
42 > own live cd, and if it fails, installation is impossible. With Gentoo,
43 > we have the full monty of live cds to choose within. It's like a distro
44 > with infinite installers.
45
46 Yes. It is a feature. As well as the possibility to use minimal/live
47 CD. Look at http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/staffing-needs/ and
48 read the first task requiring staff: "1 accessibility Requested
49 on November 19, 2006 by William Hubbs: Gentoo's accessibility project
50 is in need of help with things such as ebuild maintenance, kernel
51 hacking, and *LiveCD creation*. We're also in need of someone to
52 assist with bug solving."
53
54 also at the so wonderful handbook, step "2. Choosing the Right
55 Installation Medium"...
56
57 The feature is *you can* start from any booted linux to setup your
58 Gentoo kernel. Right. But not "there is no Gentoo liveCD and it is
59 what we want".
62 > You are free to create a live cd for Gentoo install, but you're doing
63 > nothing new nor particularly useful. You'll just add one to the list. Why?
64
65 Because I want. It is sufficient for me. Further details ? I would
66 like to bring the excitation to burn a Gentoo CD to noobs and people
67 that are pleased to get their CD from Gentoo world. And I want a
68 liveCD to make live demo in my linux promotional association, to show
69 how easy emerge is, how very nicely the rc are handled (not based on
70 naming as debian does) and so on...
73 Gal'
74 --
75 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list