From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mounting /dev from udev ... [oops]
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 14:07:42
1 Hi,
2
3 On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 10:46:40 -0700 (PDT) maxim wexler
4 <blissfix@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > Got the above error on first reboot of fresh system.
7
8 Was udev compiled running the kernel in question? (Most probably not
9 needed, though)
10 Is kernel-headers matching that kernel version? That would probably be
11 an absolute requirement... It may be a lower version than the running
12 kernel, but things will fail miserably if it's a higher version.
13
14 > Only link to this particular error in google is from a
15 > German site which I can't read.
16
17 Well, Googling for the email's subject as a phrase did reveal ...
18 nothing. At least I could have translated the message if I was able to
19 get there...
20
21 > hmmm, just noticed I can't use ctl-alt-del. Does
22 > nothing.
23 >
24 > #reboot and #shutdown result in:
25 >
26 > /dev/initctl: No such file or directory
27 > init: /dev/initctl: No such file or directory
28
29 That's because you're in the emergency console and there is no "init"
30 running. In order to halt/restart you need to add the "-f" flag. Beware
31 that you should unmount/remount r/o your partitions before resetting.
32 I.e.:
33 # umount /some/manually/mounted/partition
34 # mount -o ro,remount /dev/device-in-use /mounted/partition/in/use
35 # sync
36 # reboot -f
37
38 -hwh