From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: gmail smtp overwrites the sender
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 14:31:22
1 On 2012-03-14, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Monday 12 Mar 2012 18:34:37 Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> On 2012-03-12, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> No, I simply meant that if you use Postfix you don't have to use
6 >>> anyone else's SMTP server,
7 >>
8 >> If you've got a static IP address, a domain, an MX record, and
9 >> whatever other requirements a lot of sites are now placing upon
10 >> senders of mail.
11 >>
12 >> I used to use my own SMTP server, 10 years ago it worked fine. More
13 >> recently, too many destinations wouldn't accept mail from me -- so I
14 >> had to start using mail relays.
15 >
16 > Perhaps your mail address was blacklisted? Many ISPs IP address
17 > blocks are blacklisted these days.
18
19 I know that was sometimes the case from the rejection message sent by
20 the destination SMTP server. Even though I had a static IP address
21 and an valid MX entry for the sending machine's hostname, some sites
22 wouldn't accept mail because my static IP addres was in a block used
23 for DSL customers (of which I was one).
24
25 > Also some ISPs are blocking ports (like 25 and 2525) to minimise spam
26 > sent out of compromised boxen. They would typically allow you to
27 > relay through their mailservers though.
28
29 I've never run into that, but I know people who have.
30
31 In either case, I wouldn't advise anybody to try using their own SMTP
32 server to deliver mail directly to destinations unless they have their
33 own domain, their own IP block, and the time+skills require to fight
34 with the problems. Anybody with the requisite resources and skills
35 probably wouldn't be asking questions here about how to use Gmail's
36 SMTP server.
39 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I Know A Joke!!
40 at
41 gmail.com