From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gmail smtp overwrites the sender
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 14:52:48
1 On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:29 AM, Grant Edwards
2 <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On 2012-03-14, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Monday 12 Mar 2012 18:34:37 Grant Edwards wrote:
5 >>> On 2012-03-12, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>>> No, I simply meant that if you use Postfix you don't have to use
8 >>>> anyone else's SMTP server,
9 >>>
10 >>> If you've got a static IP address, a domain, an MX record, and
11 >>> whatever other requirements a lot of sites are now placing upon
12 >>> senders of mail.
13 >>>
14 >>> I used to use my own SMTP server, 10 years ago it worked fine.  More
15 >>> recently, too many destinations wouldn't accept mail from me -- so I
16 >>> had to start using mail relays.
17 >>
18 >> Perhaps your mail address was blacklisted? Many ISPs IP address
19 >> blocks are blacklisted these days.
20 >
21 > I know that was sometimes the case from the rejection message sent by
22 > the destination SMTP server.  Even though I had a static IP address
23 > and an valid MX entry for the sending machine's hostname, some sites
24 > wouldn't accept mail because my static IP addres was in a block used
25 > for DSL customers (of which I was one).
26
27 Yeah, I can't even send email to my gmail account from my Comcast
28 public IPv4 address.
31 >> Also some ISPs are blocking ports (like 25 and 2525) to minimise spam
32 >> sent out of compromised boxen.  They would typically allow you to
33 >> relay through their mailservers though.
34 >
35 > I've never run into that, but I know people who have.
36 >
37 > In either case, I wouldn't advise anybody to try using their own SMTP
38 > server to deliver mail directly to destinations unless they have their
39 > own domain, their own IP block, and the time+skills require to fight
40 > with the problems.  Anybody with the requisite resources and skills
41 > probably wouldn't be asking questions here about how to use Gmail's
42 > SMTP server.
43
44 My workaround involved relaying my network's outgoing email through my
45 VPS node's email server. (My VPS provider, prgmr.com, doesn't seem to
46 be on any blocklists, etc.)
49 :wq